Saturday, December 17, 2005

I forgot

Sometimes you forget just how great and how true to life some of the things from your youth are. One of those things for me is The Sound of Music. Channel 2 has it on right now and it's wonderful. Now that I've experienced some of life for what it really is, I enjoy this a million times more.

These days, I find many great things through StumbleUpon, an ingenius program for your web browser of choice (mine being FireFox...and it should be yours if it isn't already). It's an informative way to waste your time.

Joseph Addison and Richard Steele were both genius writers, and their work on the Tatler and the Spectator during the 18th century helped to bring about a revitalization of manners and combat the lewdness of the "Restoration romp" play writers. I stumbled upon a page of famous last words, and much to my suprise the last words of Joseph Addison came up:

"See in what peace a Christian can die."

It is said that he summoned his wayward stepson, Lord Warwick, while on his deathbed and challenged him with his dying words. I found it interesting, and it fits Addison's lifestyle and his goals. And to think...I'll have the privilege of meeting him one day :)

[http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6537/realidx.htm]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home